Collection: CSM Foundation Part 1

Reflection

Work Posted on CSM Instagram

Critique Presentation

MOVEMENT Project Outcome No.1.1

MOVEMENT Project Outcome No.2.1

Twisting Polypropylene 3D Shapes

Experiment with Colour under Material

Final Idea Sketch

Quick 3D Model Making

Brainstorm based on folded 3D Model

Progress Tutorial Feedback (1)

SITE SPECIFIC Project Outcome No.1.1

Creating circular form with paper strips of peoples' Insecurities

LOST LETTERS Project Outcome No.1.1

POETIC CARBOARD Project Outcome No.1.1

POETIC CARBOARD Project Outcome No.1.2

POETIC CARDBOARD Video / Moving Image Link

‘COLLECTIONS' Project Outcome No.1.1

‘COLLECTIONS' In Context

‘COLLECTIONS' In Context

Collections Exercise by Importance for Survival

'YOUR INTERPRETATION' Project Outcome No.1.2

'YOUR INTERPRETATION' Project Outcome No.1.3

Mixed-media Sketches

'YOUR DATA' Project Outcome No.1.3

Identified Patterns on Acetate

Folding 3D Shapes on the Body

Edeline Lee LFW Festival Catwalk

'BUILD IT' Project Outcome No.1.2

'BUILD IT' Project Outcome No.1.4

'USE IT' Project Outcome No.1.1

'USE IT' Project In Context

'WEAR IT' Project Outcome No.1.1

'WEAR IT' Project Outcome No.2.1

'WEAR IT' Project Outcome No.2.3

Investigation in Human Obesity

Proposal of Final Designs

Visual Mind-map

2nd Nov. 2017

Response to the final exhibition and critique?

The exhibition was extremely thought-evoking as it exposed me to various ways different individuals interpret the idea of movement in 3D design. I really liked pieces that allows the mechanical act of movement within the design and how they were presented in different perspectives on A2 sheets. However, I do think some of the work can be presented neater or made with more care, especially in the area of jewellery design. 

For the critique, I was given a lot of positive feedback about the organic form of my piece and my prolific sketchbook display. Tutors specifically liked how I photographed the piece as it not only emphasises the details, but also creates a unique captivation of movement within it. At the end, my final work was posted on CSM's 3ddafoundation Instagram, which really motivated me to create more successful work in the future.

Whose work in the group did you particularly think is effective and what did you learn about it?

I'm particularly interested in Sam's work as his idea of movement restriction provides a powerful visual impact to the audience. I also liked the asymmetric composition of his in-depth research and portfolio sheet. His work inspired me to experiment with fabric and metal wire to create form for my next project. I feel like the exhibition allowed me to share my ideas with like-minded individuals.

31st Oct. 2017

What will you improve / complete in this project before assessment?

Tutors really liked my final piece, however given a weeks time before assessment, they said I could improve by focusing on refining small details of my final piece. They suggested to add metal plates between the connection of the steel rings on my piece to add a bit of spark and sophistication to the jewellery. Moreover, I would focus on completing my A2 portfolio sheets as I feel like my current presentation lacks composition. I feel like strong research and drawing skills is demonstrated in my sketchbook but not displayed well onto my portfolio, therefore I would work on balancing out the visual composition of my portfolio the coming week.

How have your research on new technical processes / skills effect your final outcome?

I chose to use polypropylene for my final piece from the materials list, and the results turned out pretty successful so far. The semi-transparency of the material and its stiff but bendable property allowed  me to create a structured and gentle form, however it would have been easier to make if the plastic was thinner. I went on to researching different connecting methods for securing the form of my polypropylene sheet. I thought about plaiting leather, using metal wires or chains. I ended up using different sized steel rings because it is simple to place on and off, and the silver metal adds a detail of futurism to it while not over complicating its structure.

30th Oct. 2017

How did you respond to the advice given at your progress tutorial in the MOVEMENT project?

I was given feedback on trying out ways to better communicate my ideas during my progress tutorial, therefore I began practicing my sketching skills and experimenting with collage. I focused more on drawing the accessory by shading to emphasise 3-dimensionality and paying attention to detail. I think it turned out pretty successful as I have received positive feedback about my sketches more often now.

Which research influenced or inspired the work you produce most?

My primary research about architecture and buildings effected my piece the most because the concept behind it is based on how repetitive, geometric patterns creates the illusion of movement. In contrast the rigid structure of the piece draws a comment on the restriction of head and neck movement.

24th Oct. 2017

Explain your development and making process for this project?

The concept for this jewellery piece rooted from FOLDING, ROTATING and TWISTING shapes around the body. I began folding 3D shapes that holds a repetitive pattern and tried to duplicate that by producing copies of it. I started scoring and folding semi-transparent polypropylene based on my 3D models and began twisting the shapes to create a more unique form. However, I faced the challenge of thinking of ways to secure that form. I later on figured out it would work if another material is involved to secure the corners together, therefore I searched for a hole puncher in the metal workshop so that metal rings or leather strips can be tied on to confirm shape. I also experimented with putting the material under different colours and lighting, at the end I find out that the semi-transparent property of the material interacts best with the contrast of light, hence this will be used during the photograph of my final piece.

Why did you choice JFFA, how did the project confirm your choice?

After I started working on the project, I'm even more confirmed that I am suitable for the JFFA pathway. I find out that I am extremely interested in solving and investigating problems related to the movement of the human body, and especially like how my strong, prominent aesthetic for accessories empowers females. Moreover, I feel like I excel in working with various materials and tools at a high quality standard, which is an important part in jewellery making.

22nd Oct. 2017

Describe your concept idea? What are you aiming for? 

I decided to focus on the concept of sequencing, repetitive movement of 3D shapes around the body, in a literal and conceptual sense. I will achieve this by folding, twisting and bending shapes. I'm also aiming at a more structural form that possibly restricts movement yet creates the illusion of shapes moving on the body. I hope to experiment in a big space, across and around the human body.

What materials did you explore and work with?

By analysing the properties of various materials as a class, I found out that my product would be best with materials that are stiff yet easy to fold or cut. Therefore, I'm planning to experiment with polypropylene and leather because they have similar properties with paper because they are foldable and comes in sheet forms. The technique of blend and scoring will be used to manipulated the material into 3D shapes.

Feedback about your Sketchbook / Sheets?

I received lot of positive feedback about my drawing skills and range of ideas based on the amount of orange post it notes, however I have given suggestion about experimenting with colour and trying out different visual compositions for my sheets.

21st Oct. 2017

Why have you chosen the JFFA pathway and how will you interpret it through the MOVEMENT project? 

I have chosen to focus on the JFFA pathway project option because I'm interested in how 3D materials and form move around and interact with the body. I am particularly interested int he word: FOLD ; TWIST ; and COLLAPSE in the visual dictionary. Therefore I decided to develop on the idea of manipulating 3D objects so that it looks like it is moving around the body.

Describe the primary and secondary research sources that inspire / inform your design development.

For primary research, I looked at continuous geometric patterns around park and kings cross that created the illusion of movement, such as stairs, repetitive structures of line. For secondary research I looked at designers including Thom Brown and Issey Miyaki because they have the same physical, structural aesthetic. I am particularly interested in the lines created by shadows from the shapes in my research. 

17th Oct. 2017

What feedback did you get from your progress tutorial and how are you going to respond to it?

My tutor liked how my research has a good integration of well sourced primary and secondary research and how keywords and ideas are in bold text. He also commented on how I explored a range of methods, approaches and processes, including drawing, sketching model-making, a lot of construction on the body, photography, and that the reflection is illustrated with well-chosen images of my work. However, he thought that I can improve on communicating my work better to the audience and be more focused on the project rather than the people wearing it. I will improve by using a wider range of materials, such as tracing paper, to present my work, while practice on my quick sketching skills.

13th Oct. 2017

GRAPHIC DESIGN & COMMUNICATION Project: ‘SITE SPECIFIC’

What is the space and does it have an original purpose?

I challenged the idea of “site and space” in this project by arguing that the human body can also be a site itself. I started by collecting peoples insecurities and printing them is a generic font on paper. I was driven by the concept and irony of one wearing their insecurities on their body, which shows why I chose the body as my “site”. I like the idea of how we are being wrapped around, restricted by our insecurities, therefore I manipulated strips of people’s insecurities in a 3D snake-like structure that kind of looks like it is strangling or controlling the human body. At the end, my project raised debates on whether it is “site specific”, which shows that although my project might not be very graphical, it definitely communicated a clear idea and evoked public discussion.

11th Oct. 2017

ILLUSTRATION Project: ‘LOST LETTERS’

How did you visualise and communicate meaning from a letter / number?

I specifically looked at the silhouette / outline of my number (‘4’), and tried viewing it at different perspectives to see what objects it reminds me of. From a horizontal angle, the number reminded me of a gun, trumpet and fountain taps tap. I also took use of the negative space of my number to illustrate the nose of a human face. However, these ideas that I generated seemed too generic, therefore I decided to take use of the blank page and illustrates something that is more playful and creates humour. I visualised the number as a pipe underwater with a octopus clinging on to it. I like how the red puts a bold pigment to the creature, while the black adds detail to it.

10th Oct. 2017

ART DIRECTION & COMMUNICATION Project: ‘POETIC CARDBOARD’

How did our lives influence our work and how is it communicated?

Given the words 'Poetic' and 'Cardboard', my partner and I start brainstorming the similarities and differences between them. We noticed a clear juxtaposition between the soft, elegancy of poems and the rough and hardness of cardboard. Therefore, inspired by the theatre performance 'Woolf Works', which talks about ballet and the strengthening of identity, we decided to combine the structural element of costumes with the poetic body of ballet. We experimented with building anatomical costumes using cardboard and placing it on different parts of the body during the performance of dance. A contrast of movement and restriction is then created by the literal sense of the two words. This piece is communicated through costume accessory and performance.

How did the context of design change and what function might this work have outside of this project?

Initially, we took still life photoshoots of our cardboard costume changing in different dance positions and contexts to show the growth and transformation of our identity at different environments. However, after given feedback, we learned that it is more effective to project movement and change as a video. We accumulated parts of a ballet move at different locations within a video to show a stiffness on the costume in contrast with movement and elegancy.

Although some refinement can be done, the result turned out to be really successful. Our tutor really liked the “necessary stupidity” (the statement of the obvious) in our work. He also commented on how the juxtaposition between the sophisticated, refined movements of dance and restrictive, poor form of the cardboard costume, creates “sensibility rather than meaning”. He is amused by the humour and fun projected by piece, but also curious about the absurdity behind it.

The fact that it is a performance piece about ballet, it can be communicated as an art piece that raised questions about restriction in culture and etiquette.

5th Oct. 2017

FINE ART Project : ‘COLLECTIONS’ - Critique

What is my piece of work about?

This is an interactive piece that began with the concept of consumerism and overproduction. Through observing daily shopping habits, I am aware that people consume without thinking. Therefore, I used barcodes to symbolise the act of scanning. The collection of barcodes is worn on body for the audience to embody and experience the feeling of being an object themselves, which plays on the idea of self-labelling and materialism. The accessory creates the illusion of rolls of fat, which shows the consequences of over-consuming, while creating the image of weight and burden.

What feedback did you get and what does it make you think about?

My initial intention was to imitate layers of fat by sewing together cotton-stuffed stockings. This was successful as many of colleagues identified my piece to rolls of fat. However, there are also some people who thought it looked like “sausages”, which suggested a humorous reaction which I didn't intend to evoke. I received a feedback saying that my piece comments on how “consumerism is literally and figuratively suffocating society”. The fact that my final piece covers the face and looks like an object that ‘strangles’ the neck, it really depicts the concept of suffocating and isolating oneself. This is an idea that I never thought about, but actually really suits for my work.

What will you do differently after this feedback?

I was given reference points, including Sarah Lucas, Rebecca Horn and Euston Freud to research about. I was particularly Rebecca Horn’s ‘Body Extension’ as her work explores the equilibrium between body and space, and relates to ideas including isolation and mass production using body sculptures. To further explore this idea, I was given feedback to extend or add more layers to my work to create a greater visual impact while more effectively emphasise the idea of OVER-consumption. Another way to expand my idea would be to experiment placing my piece on different parts of the body (head, shoulder, hips). Other than an interactive piece, it might also be interesting as a performance piece by putting it within different contexts.

3rd Oct. 2017

FINE ART Project : ‘COLLECTIONS’ - Experiment

How have you developed your ideas?

Using the barcodes I collected as the embryo of my ideas, I started experimenting with different methodologies of presenting it. In order to further communicate the idea of materialism and how it is spoilt by our over-consuming shopping habits, I began placing barcodes on the body and experimenting it as a tattoo. I also tried presenting the idea under different contexts, such as having the barcodes scanned on the body at a grocery store. By putting the collection within context, I noticed that embodying barcodes on the body was an effective way to present the concept of self-labelling and materialism. Therefore, I related this project with my previous research about human fat and tried using the skin-like textile as a methodology of presenting barcodes.

How did the context of individual things alter by being in the collection?

When barcodes are put together in a collection, it connotes the idea of waste and over consumption, because people immediately relate it to the act of aggressive shopping. However, by placing it on the body, the context is altered from consumerism to self-labelling and materialism, while raise questions about identity and self worth. The fact that the context of a collection can be easily altered by different methodologies and mediums shows the importance of presentation for an art piece.

2nd Oct. 2017

FINE ART Project : ‘COLLECTIONS’ - Collect

What media has been used to organise the collection and what is revealed through it?

As a group, we organised personal items from our bags in accordance to size to create a significance contrast between the objects. However, after putting it in order, we thought that the contrast wasn’t as visible as we thought. I think this would have been more successful if it was performed in a larger scale, with more items. We also realised that the weight of the objects ascends as the size of the objects increases throughout the collection, therefore revealing a open opportunity for interpretation in an art piece. As a conceptual person, I am interested in the methodology of fabrication, and would personally prefer building a collection that metaphorically explores a meaning behind the collection.

What has been collected?

I collected barcodes from packings and receipts because I have been fascinated by the popularity of self scanning services at grocery stores since we don't have this system in Hong Kong. I chose to collect barcodes because the systematic and organised part of the item and process interests me. It reminded me of a sustained pattern. As I experimented with different methodologies from formal standardisation to duplication, while organising them in different orders. I realised I began more interested in the systematic pattern of barcodes. I started brainstorming about themes of consumerism and materialisation of objects, which inspired me to connect my collection to the human body.

30th Sept. 2017

THE BRITISH MUSEUM Research for the ‘Collections’ Project

Recommended in the fine art project brief, I went to the British Museum to do some research about the ‘Collections’ project next week. There are two pieces of work that interests me the most, ‘Man’s Cloth by El Anatsui (1998-2001), which is a collection of recycled metal foils ; and ‘Cradle to Grave’ by Pharmacopoeia (2014), which is a collection of pills. I realised both pieces of work are in a very large scale and has similar aspects to a textile piece.

28th Sept. 2017

FASHION & TEXTILES Project : 'YOUR INTERPRETATION'

What are your thoughts on styling and experimental sketching exercises today?

I am most interested in movement drawing as dynamic forms of a human body create lines and shapes that are more flow-based and gentle than the usual static image. During the music led sketch, I create various textures with markers and crayons that surprisingly turned out really well as a pattern. I’m especially into the jiggly, curved and zigzag lines I created with a fine line pen because it unintentionally connotes a sense of confusion, congestion and detail. In terms of styling, I am more attracted to clothing with a bold, exaggerated silhouette. 

Evaluate the final outcomes against your initial expectations / work from Monday.

We were asked to create a final outcome inspired from the projects we did for fashion and textiles, and I immediately thought of the simplistic lines and shapes we did for 'Your Surroundings' rather than patterns.

Based on a hexagonal shape, I started adding flaps to the side and folding it into a 3D shape. By building multiple shapes on top of each other, I created two shoulder pads that fully exaggerates the female body. Inspired from the continuous straight lines drawing from the first point perspective at Central Saint Martins, I added a simple three line connection between each shoulder pad to create a jacket. In terms of securing methods, I used paper fasteners to secure each shape so that the garment is movable. A zig zagged buttoned up connection was made at the front to increase the feasibility of the piece and allows it to be easily worn.

After talking to several tutors, 3D form orientated wearables or avant garden garment making seems to be the most suitable pathway for me.

26th Sept. 2017

TEXTILES Project : ‘YOUR DATA’

Have you changed your perception of what textiles is?

Initially I was more into the manipulation of fabric in knitwear and textiles design because I am really interested in creating protrude, 3D textures. However, after today’s project of identifying patterns through drawing various objects, I noticed that 3D methods can also be used to created 2D patterns. For instance, by hand sewing thread through acetate, I was able to create beautiful curves and circles that cannot be drawn by pen.

What are the benefits of working in pairs / collaborating together?

By working in pairs, I am able to get different textures from the drawing techniques and materials of different people. The contrast of juxtaposing colours with thin and thick lines was the key inspiration of my textile projection.

Describe your thoughts on the process introduced today?

Throughout this project, I found out that I enjoyed playing with colour and bounding /connecting objects with strings. I also found out I was able to identify more organic shapes compared to my previous projects. Although only given 90 seconds under the projector, I experimented with different materials such as bubble wrap and coloured acetate. I found out the transparent texture of different materials under the project and onto another background really attracts me.

25th Sept. 2017

FASHION Project : ‘YOUR SURROUNDINGS’

What inspired you from observing ‘your surroundings’?

Living under a concrete city, we are used to seeing the architectures that we are surrounded by. Therefore, today’s observational exercise allowed me to be aware of and identify interesting shapes and structures we see in our daily lives that often gets forgotten. I noticed from this exercise that I became more drawn to the details and how organic forms are built within different architectures.

How did you find building shapes on the body?

I was particularly fascinated by how geometric constructs twists and wraps around another object. I also find the continuous layers of lines and how it disappears from a third point perspective extremely mesmerising. After identifying 2D forms from architectures at kings cross, as a partner we turned six of these shapes into 3D fashion designs on the body. During my turn of styling, I attempted to design stronger and more exaggerated forms in order to create a bolder silhouette for us to draw from.

Were the drawing exercises helpful?

My favourite drawing exercise was blind and non dominant hand drawing. This is because it not only challenges my visual perspective of viewing an object. The random colours and lines drawn under these fast paced exercises surprisingly created some striking fashion illustrations.

22th Sept. 2017

LONDON FASHION WEEK FESTIVAL 2017

Today I went to London’s Fashion Week Festival to watch fashion designer Edeline Lee’s catwalk show. Edeline Lee is a CSM womenswear graduate that designs clothing for the future women. I loved the versatility of her collection and how she uses a simple colour palette and matte fabric to create volumes yet feminine garments.Within a designers shopping exhibition, I also discovered a brand called the ‘HOUSE OF SUNNY’, which I found interest in. The designer uses thick and stiff fabric to create oversized shapes in her designs and has a clean and flawless aesthetic. Overall, the show was an amazing experience and I would definitely go again next year.

21th Sept. 2017

3DDA Project : 'BUILD IT'

What was new to you today and what did you think of it?

Today’s task was about creating 3D spacial structures from geometric shapes. Through collaborative working, we were able to expand and extend platonic structures we made into larger geometric scaled forms. From working with different groups of people, I understood the importance of working collaboratively as a team in the design industry. I really enjoyed working with 3D structures, however what interests me more is how it can be incorporated as an accessory on the body.

How could you adapt aspects for other uses / designs?

As I began creating Platonic structures using bamboo rods, I tried experimenting with putting it on different parts of the body. I believe that the outcome of an architectural field of design can also be the inspiration for a fashion accessories project, hence I tried wearing my structures on the head and across my shoulder, and the final outcome turned out to be extremely bold and visually impactful. I’m also really interested in avant garde and geometric shapes, hence the final design on the body really follows my personal style.

How did today’s project compare with your expectations of architecture / spacial design?

Initially I thought architecture requires an extended amount of math, however after experimenting with different ways of building shapes, spaces and form, I think knowing how to conceptually communicate your ideas to the audience and engineers is more important. Throughout the day, I especially enjoyed the freedom of experimenting with different 3D shapes and forms. I also enjoyed working with light and seeing how it interacts with a plastic covers of the structure.

19th Sept. 2017

PDA Project : 'USE IT'

What is the narrative behind your idea and how does it link to your observations?

Considering the words ‘CUSTOMISATION’, ‘COMFORT’ and ‘FUNCTION’. After doing some primary research of observing how people use their chairs, I have discovered that users usually want something to lean on when they sit, or use their chairs as handbag or clothing hangers. Therefore, using the user centred approach, I decided to design a chair that allows users to rest their arms at different angles as well as store their belongings.

What is your visual approach to designing a product?

Dealing with the problem of a materialism and over consumption in this fast-paced and overpopulated society, I think it is important for our products to be human centred and material-led. Therefore, my final product uses a single material and has the function of a chair and a table. I also like the idea of how products interact with each other, hence my product would only have more than two functions if it is used together.

How did your experience of the PDC area compare with your exception?

I have done ergonomic product designs during IB and was familiar with creating prototypes and collecting quick on-hand research, therefore the PDC pathway was pretty familiar with what I thought it would be. However, I’m personally more interested in creating 3D projects that interact with the body. During our observational research, I also discovered that I'm more interested in drawing people and bags hanging on chairs rather than the chair itself.

18th Sept. 2017

JFFA Project : 'WEAR IT'

What is the project brief and how did you improve and develop your final idea?

Based on the words ‘SUSPEND’, ‘SUPPORT’ and ‘SURROUND’, we were asked to create a 3D outcome that conceptually or physically functions on the body. As someone that is personally drawn to visually impactful statements and shapes, I started brainstorming about materials and structures that supports and covers the body. Initially, I decided to create a wearable on the neck that functions to protect and support posture. However as I started folding up triangular structures and trying it on different parts of the body, I find it more interesting as mask for the eyes and the mouth.

What are your thoughts on the JFFA pathway and working at a fast pace?

As a 3 dimensional person that likes to work on the human body, the JFFA pathway has been extremely insightful and exciting. I love working with strong materials and seeing how it interacts with the body, I’m also interested in doing avant garde pieces, therefore the JFFA pathway at CSM has been suitable for me so far. In terms of fast pace working, we were asked to drawn 30 ideas in 30 minutes. Throughout the process, I learned the importance of conceptualising and drawing key points of your ideas.

Did you work well with restrictive materials? What was it like working to the body?

I really like working with stiff materials such as leather and hard paper because I can easily create bold and angular shapes.  Since I have always been interested in paper manipulation and creating bold 3D shapes from 2D materials, the restrictive material of paper was definitely not a concern for me. I also love challenging myself with using different materials to create volumes and forms.

17th Sept. 2017

Designs / illustration inspired by #DRAWFASHION competition?

After going to the LCF exhibition yesterday, I decided to do some fashion illustrations extended from my 'Ideas Factory' project. From bones, I started researching on human flesh and fat, and became interested in the uneven and bumpy textures of it.

What materials and techniques did I use?

I added cotton into nude stockings and sewed it together using red thread. By building layers of the textiles together, I created a shoulder pad that mimics the texture and image of layers of fat. I also used bubbly wrap and yellow sponge as the bumpy texture looks like fat DNA. 

16th Sept. 2017

What did I like about the exhibition?

During the weekend, I went to LCF's exhibition for its fashion illustration competition (#DRAWFASHION) supported by Cass Art. I really enjoyed the various styles and material use, especially illustrations with a strong impact of colour and use of lines. This exhibition inspired me to do more collage and pattern based work.

14th Sept. 2017

What are you 12 designs about?

The main focus of my final proposal is the wearable body accessory, however I did come up with 7 handbag ideas that are inspired by the three words. I formulated a lot of my design using metaphors and collage and I learned that it is important that my visuals communicate main concepts of the idea.

How was the crit? What feedback did you get?

I was able to hear a lot of different ideas and ways of thinking which inspired me to be even more open-minded in view different topics. I specially like designs where the form and texture of an organic object is used as the main inspiration source. My feedback made me think that I could experiment more with textiles design.

13th Sept. 2017

How did I develop my ideas?

In order to have a better understanding about the skeletal constructions of bone in the human body, I began doing some basic sketches of the human spine and rib cage. Through the sketches, I try to find similarities between them with the theme Hinduism. I clear connection is that the bone structure and the fonts of the Hindu language, Sanskrit, are both very systematically patterned. I also started using different materials such as thread and printing cut outs to imitate textures of the bone marrow, while also utilising the technique of a collage.

What is the result of my development?

After intensive research and testing out, I have decided to use bone and skeletal structures on the human body as a metaphor for the beliefs of resurrection and rebirth in Hinduism. To further incorporate the process of a collage, I plan to use the Hindu language, Sanskrit, to build the bone structure of the wearable design. This will be presented in a collage form for my proposal of the fashion accessory.

12th Sept. 2017

What did we do today?

Today we carried on our secondary research at the Central Saint Martins library. Using key words such as bone marrow, bone structure and skeleton, I was able to to find some scientific images and annotations of the construction of skeleton and how bones work in the human body. I have also done research on bone structures of animals, such as cows and snakes, as they symbolise God Ganesh and God Shiva in Hinduism. 

What will we do next?

After secondary library research on the process 'Collage' and theme 'Hinduism', we decided to do more primary research on Hinduism by going to the Highgatehill Murugan Temple tomorrow. Our objectives of the trip would be to look at the main architectures and rituals that the temple perform.

11th Sept. 2017

PROJECT 1 : IDEAS FACTORY

What was your response to the project brief?

Our 3 words: 'HINDUISM' (ism), 'BONE' (material) and 'COLLAGE' (process). 

Given three words to interpret with our own creative mindset, we began brainstorming ideas with our first impressions and prior knowledge about the subject. Through creating a detailed mind map, I was also mind blown by the variations that can be explored, and was able to vividly visualise the connections between each word.

What did you learn today?

Through linking the words together, we found out that the theme of resurrection and rebirth are predominately circled around the three topics. Following that direction, we were hoping to find more information about it during our library research session. I learned the importance of being a communicator and listening to others as that is the key to new inspiration that you wouldn't have been able to get by yourself.

How did you find working in a group?

The fact that we all came from different parts of the world, we were able to combine various creative responses, styles and ideas from different cultures. We were able to formulate primary research through our group mates who practices Hinduism, and was able to collect scientific knowledge about bone structures from biology students. Overall, our group has been very collaborative as we were all allocated specific research roles and knows what we were doing.

ACTION PLAN 

1. Create a mind map of the 3 words and identify links between them
  2. Primary research for "Hinduism" and "Collage" - interviews, photographs
  3. Library research for "Bone" and "Collage"- photograph documentation
  4. Sketch initial ideas from research material
  5. Online secondary research on designers/artists (e.g. Lucy Orta, Natalia Fabia...etc.)
  6. Develop and finalise ideas through further research
  7. Create final proposal presentation page

MOVEMENT Project Feedback

MOVEMENT Project Outcome No.1.2

Final Forms

Hole Punching for Steel Rings

Scoring and Folding Polypropylene

3D Models on the Body

Feedback about Sketchbook/Sheets

Idea Sketches

Materials' Properties List

Progress Tutorial Feedback (2)

SITE SPECIFIC Project Outcome No.1.2

Idea and Concept Sketches

LOST LETTERS Project Outcome No.1.2

Cardboard into Costume

‘COLLECTIONS' Project Outcome No.1.2

‘COLLECTIONS' In Context

'COLLECTIONS' In Context

Collection of Barcodes

Sketches of Development

The British Museum - 'Collections' Research

'YOUR INTERPRETATION' Project Outcome No.1.1

Dynamic Movement Sketches

'YOUR DATA' Project Outcome No.1.1

'YOUR DATA' Project Outcome No.1.2

Connecting Memorable Objects with Thread

Folding 2D Shapes to 3D

Collective Research of Designers at LFWF

'BUILD IT' Project Outcome No.1.3

'BUILD IT' Project Outcome No.1.1

'USE IT' Project Outcome No.1.2

Observational Research Sketches

'WEAR IT' Project Outcome No.2.2

Fashion Illustration Inspired by Fat DNA and Flesh

#DRAWFASHION LCF Exhibition

Feedback from the Group

Formulating Ideas of Each Word