Collection: CSM Foundation Part 1

Research

MOVEMENT Project : Primary Research

After doing a brainstorm from the visual dictionary of movement, I realised that I'm particularly interested in the words TWIST, ROTATE and FOLD. I also added words such as repetitive and structural to my list to broaden my research about different forms of movement for my primary research.

Architectual Structures at Kings Cross

Repetitive Forms at Southwark

Wearable Art by Jenny Hsu

Rachel Freire for Fiona Gardens

I'm interested in fashion accessories that exemplifies continuous repetitions, sequences and patterns because it often connotes the illusion of a twisting or rotating movement, which I'm really captivated by. I specifically find neck pieces attractive because it interacts with the facial expressions of the model and allows the extension of movement.

Scoring and Folding Polypropylene

Folded Polypropylene

I researched about material that are workable and have similar properties with paper. From materials such as copper shim, aluminium foil and paper, I ended up choosing polypropylene because it is semi-transparent and can be easily manipulated to 3D forms. By scoring and folding the sheet, I can create the same effect as my 3D paper models. However, my only improvement for next time would be choosing a thinner sheet of polypropylene because the 1mm sheets turned out very difficult to fold and bend.

PROJECT 1 : IDEAS FACTORY

'HINDUISM' 

Cycle of Rebirth : Fascinated by the idea of resurrection and death, I have narrowed down my research on Shiva, the Hindu God of Destruction. From my second-hand research, I found out that Shiva is associated with "reincarnation, since in Hinduism death is believed to be a necessary step for rebirth". The God of destruction is also symbolised by necklaces of skulls, which draw various links to the material of bone.

Hindu Gods and Goddesses, 2004 (Book)

Samsara in Hinduism

Moreover, according to wikipedia, one of the prominent themes in Hindu beliefs includes Samsara, which means the cycle of rebirth. This idea of resurrecting from the dead can be expanded to ideas including the karmic cycle as well as the skeletal reincarnation of life. To further develop this idea, I decided to focus on the concept of reviving the dead, possibly using bones and skeleton as its symbolism.

The Buddah Garden, 2017 (Website)

Hindu Language : Sanskirt

In terms of form, I found out that the systematic pattern of bones relate closely to the cyclic concept of samsara (rebirth) in Hinduism. Moreover, as I began researching about the Hindu language, Sanskrit, I am fascinated by how similar the words are to separate sections of the bone structure. To map down my connections, I drew fonts of Sanskirt in 3D to see if a 3 dimensional skeletal structure can be constructed by it.

Skeleton written by Steve Parker, 2002 (Book)

Plastic Necklace by Sam Tho Duong, 2012

Bone Marrow

I feel like the juxtaposition of the soft bone marrow and its strong exterior wall would be a great source of inspiration for a textiles design. I also really like the colour combination of white and different shades of red.

Bone Marrow + DNA Pattern Collage

Using the repetitive and symmetrical nature of skeletal 'BONE' structures as a metaphor for the belief of Samsara (the cycle of rebirth) in 'HINDUISM', hence emphasising the idea of resurrection by putting skeletal remains on a moving human body. Implementing 'COLLAGE' by combining various skeletal structures of different animals and presenting the proposal using the form of a collage.

IDEAS FACTORY Design Proposal

Personal Investigation: OBESITY AND FAT

Rooting from the intensive research about hard and structural parts of the body, I started to be curious about the soft and fleshy textures that cover it. I began doing some observational drawings of over-weight, obese woman and exploring the organic forms and shapes their body's create.

Contemporary Style with a Sensual Edge Collection by Alessandra Marchi, 2017

I started relating the texture of skin, flesh and fat to soft, cotton / silky fabric. From Alessandra Marchi's 2017 collection, I feel like the visual aesthetic of knitwear and cotton fabric being draped really recreates the texture and feeling of layers of fat.

Textiles Experimentation - Stocking, Cotton, Thread

Using stockings and stuffing them with cosmetic cotton, I created several textile sample to experiment with. I think that the unevenness of the lines and curved shapes was effective in terms of conveying the texture of skin, however it would have been better it the cotton isn't so stiff.

Inspired by flesh and fat, I chose the colour palette of yellow, red and beige. Based on fat DNA and my inspiration from layers of fat, I made prints and patterns with collage and fine line drawing.

'WEAR IT' Project

I did a mind map base on the project brief and identified key words to focus on during the research on this project. We were given the words "SUPPORT", "SUSPEND" and "SURROUND", and the first few words that came to my mind was cover, protect and posture. I then started to research about fashion accessory pieces that relate to this context. I particularly looked at designs that interact, aid and functions on the body.

The Scale of Jewellery by Kana Takenaka (Designer)

I decided to focus on restriction, control and posture adjustment in my work. In order to do that, I would explore on stiff material as well as structures that can create a nice, still form.

'Written on the Body' by UNFOLD Design (Atwerp, belgium), 2002

Inspired by Daniel Widrig’s skeletal accessory, I decided to use the visual metaphor of a spine for this fashion accessory because the main function of the human spine is to support our back and neck.

Recycled Leather Collection by Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design Students

The recycled leather collection made me think of sustainability. This led me to explore on creating a fashion accessory using a single material

Paper Manipulation Experimentation - Folding Interlocking Triangular Shapes

Sharpness of the accessory worn to cover the human eyes and face connotes the idea of pain on a delicate surface. This shows a strong juxtaposition of soft and hard textures, which also connotes the idea of conflict.

USE IT Project

The project brief guided us to focus on CUSTOMISATION, COMFORT and FUNCTION while re-designing a 'traditional' chair. From evaluating the strengths and weakness of successful chairs throughout history, I realised the importance of balancing simplicity, aesthetics and function. I also noticed that most of these chairs uses cheap yet feasible materials. The term sustainability is also important when considering future designs.

100 Chairs in 100 Days by Martino Gamper

Driven by the idea of sustainability, I'm interested in the thinking process of recycling and reusing objects in Martino Gamper's 100 Chairs in 100 Days. The simplicity of adapting something that already exists to new functional design shows creative problem solving. This led me to explore and view objects in different perspectives while designing. This also inspired one of my designs where two traditional plastic chairs are flipped upside down to create a bench, while the chair legs functions as hangers for handbags and clothing.

Droog by Van de Poll

Mag Table by Eric Pfeiffer

USE IT Chair Design in Context

My final design is a chair that can be modified as a desk for different activities in the classroom. It is a dominant design which requires the collaboration of each other in order for it to use as a table and a chair. This design solves the problem of over consumption and increases space of the working place as tables would no longer be required. Moreover, a single material is used to create this product hence reduces material waste.

BUILD IT Project

Based on the project brief that introduced us to feasible platonic structure, I began researching about architecture designs that uses discreet line and shapes to create space, while functions according to the environment.

Nox Foam Home Research Project, 1997

Primary Research: Geometric Constructs near London Bridge

For primary research, I decided to look at the construction of architectures and bridges near the London Eye. I noticed that lines are directed from one point perspectives, creating triangles that looks like pyramids. I like how the structure creates a cave-like space while provides a sense of safeness and protection.

Wearing Architecture on the Body

I experimented with wearing the platonic / geometric architectures around the body and it turned out very successful as a jewellery piece. I like the symmetry and the simplicity of geometric shapes that gives it a futuristic aspect.

YOUR SURROUNDINGS Project

The key concepts introduced in the project brief investigates fashion silhouettes and forms for the body that are influenced by our 'surroundings'. We started doing primary research by observing the form, shape and structures in the area of Kings Cross. I specifically looked at simple shapes and repetitive patterns of architectures as these forms gives me strong a sense of power and mystery. I also looked at temporary structures such as scaffolding and displays as the lines and patterns taken from these structures are usually less formal. I found out that I am specifically interested in large scale forms rather than mark-making and texture, therefore I decided to focus on fashion silhouettes rather than textiles for this project.

A/W Collection by Jaimee Mckenna, 2013

Sculpting Mind by Yuki Hagino

Identifying Shapes - Group Drawing

We practiced drawing techniques including line, blind and non-dominant hand drawing. I particularly like my line drawing of the silhouette across a few models using thick markers as it informs ideas of possible fabric placings based on the negative marks made. However, I believe I would have done better if I used a wider variety of medias in my drawing as I feel like some sketches lacked texture and mark-making.

YOUR DATA Project

We started off our textiles investigation by bringing in objects that we think formed our identity. By randomly piling them together, I considered the contrast of form and colour within the collection. As a group, we did a rather abstract drawing of the surface textures, tone, shapes and silhouettes of the objects. I noticed that the unbalanced and asymmetrically of the objects piled together creates an uneven, juxtaposing texture that is really unique. I specifically liked the dotted, crumble-like mark-making of the net texture, as it interprets it as a detailed, lace-like texture in an abstract perspective.

Group Sketching Practice

Connecting Memorable Objects with Thread - Chair

Identifying Patterns within Mixed Media Sketches

YOUR INTERPRETATION Project

The project brief asks us to focus on emphasising elements of our observational drawings and mark making, and turn them into fashion illustrations. We were asked to create a final outcome by combining work from our previous FT projects. Using a range of drawing mediums & materials, we explored ways of translating observations by looking at composition, line, tone, exaggeration, scale, colour and texture. I noticed the importance of illustrating bold, statement silhouettes, therefore I decided to research on fashion designs that exaggerates the human body.

Dynamic Movement Sketches

From my dynamic sketches, I decided to research about designs that exaggerates body parts based on movement. For example, Gareth Pugh's Stormtroop Chic effectively draws attention to the model's head by expanding the neck piece. The flexible material of the neck piece emphasises movement, which creates an element of wit and fun that really interests me. 

COLLECTIONS Project

"Artists and designers in particular regularly adopt and invent collecting methodologies to reveal patterns that exist around us that we would otherwise overlook." For this project, I started collecting barcodes because I was deeply drawn by the consumerist culture in the UK

Flat Waste by Dieter Roth

After researching artists such as Alexander Pirici and Dieter Roth, I felt that in order for a fine art piece to be successful, it must be 'performed' or displayed in a large place to allow exposure. I also find that it would be interesting if it was an interactive performance piece so that audience can view it in the first person perspective.

Experiment with putting Barcodes on the Face

I was then looking at ways of preserving the idea of embodying an object using the collection of barcodes rather than acting directly on a human body. I started researching about materials that looks similar to human skin and stockings was the first material that came to mind. From researching of ways to display it, I found artists such as Sarah Lucas and John Issacs that also uses stuffed stockings to display ideas of isolation and body transformations in their artwork.

Making Process

‘COLLECTIONS' Outcome Performed at Different Contexts

POETIC CARBOARD Project

Given two words, "poetic" and "cardboard", we were asked as a group of two to visually communicate the idea through media. We began our research looking at the theatre performance 'Woolf Works'. What attracted us most was the gentle, poetic movements of ballet and the elegancy of the costumes.

POETIC CARBOARD Project Outcome

Visual Dictionary of Movement

3DDA MOVEMENT Project

MOVEMENT can be interpreted and expressed in various ways such as traveling, developing rhythm and tempo or in the form of dance and performance. However, the motivation and need for this movement is based on a "huge diversity of function and reasoning". From reading the project brief, I'm interested in the differing degrees of effort, speed, pace, energy and time required to achieve motion. Movement can be swift, slow, repetitive, spontaneous, monotonous, controlled, erratic, tender, and violent.

Public Art at Kensington Gardens

The repetition in architectural forms really attract me as it creates the illusion of movement within the powerful structures. Therefore, I decided to focus on building the picture of movement within my piece through repeating geometric shapes.

Folded Lamp by Issey Miyaki

I noticed how Issey Miyaki uses stiff materials and continuous folding techniques within his designs. I like the ascending layers of angular forms throughout Miyaki's Folded Light as it creates a bold statement by using layers to build contrast while retains simplicity from its use of subtle colours. From Jenny Hsu's wearable art, I'm interested in the neatly folded triangular patterns that creates 3 dimensional fluidity to the garment. This repetitive folding technique will be explored in my design.

Metal Neck Piece by Krisztina Nemeth

Interconnection Series by Sun Kyoung Kim

The designers I have researched about focuses on the form of the piece rather than colour. They inspired me to create jewellery that impresses the audience from its detail and form, especially creating organic forms from geometry shapes.

3D Paper Models

Developed 3D Form

The final outcome turned out very well, the repetitive, fluid shapes tells a powerful story about movement and modern architecture and it is executed extremely well. The steel ring makes it easy to put on and off, while adds an element of elegancy to it by adding silver. I would improve this piece by placing silver plates to the corners of the piece to enhance its detail, while adding a bit of shimmer to it.

'BONE'

According to the x-ray illustrations of various skeletons, I find that the organic yet systematic construction of the bones and how they connect extremely fascinating. I am extremely inspired by the structure of the skeletal spine as it shows dynamic movement. This can be used as a metaphor for resurrection

Science Fictional Spine by Beatrice Weiland and Meredith Lyon, 2010 (Designer)

Haute Macabre by Nika Danielska No.1.1

Observational Sketches of Human Bone Structures

Observational sketches of skeletons were done to investigate on how bones work as a support for the human body. I realise that each piece interlocks with another and usually creates protrude, knuckle-like shapes between the connections.

Wei Ting Liang: Reveal- The Inner Self Collection, 2011 (Artist)

Capriole Collection by Iris Van Herpen, 2011

Experiment - Using Thread to Mimic Bone Marrow

To implement the element of a collage, I have experimented with using red thread on bone. Using embroidery techniques, I explored with mimicking and recreating the textures of bone marrow and muscles that connect bones together. It was effective in terms of showing detailed texture and a vivid colour contrast with the cream based colours of bones.

Anatomy for the Artist by Sarah Simblet (Book)

Observation Drawing and Collage - Fat and Obesity

I am extremely inspired by the textures of cellulite and the layers and rolls of fat. I like the contrast of a soft surface being tightened when grabbed or pushed, as well as the round and circular outlines it creates.

The Nylon Sculptures by Rosa Verloop, 2012 No.1.1 (Artist)

Pattern Making based on Layers of Fat Inspiration

Fashion Illustration Inspired by Fat DNA and Flesh

'Fabric Sculpture Series 1, Genetic Structures' by Rowan Mersh

Wearable Technology by JOJO POST Fashion

'11:11' Collection by Winde Rienstra, 2011 (Designer)

Kinesis by Daniel Widrig (Designer)

Spring Summer Collection by Junya Watanabe, 2015

Primary Research: Kings Cross Station Architectures

The geometric shapes that I created reminded me of the sharp, symmetrical modern architectures in London.

Experimenting with 3D Shapes

Observational Research of How People Use Chairs

As a product designer, it is important for us to observe our users using the chair. Therefore we started off doing some primary research by recording and sketching out postures and ways people or objects interact with chairs. After brainstorming and researching as a group, we noticed that people usually lean on chairs to support posture, some even likes to rest their arms on the back of a chair as handles or to support their sketch book. In a classroom environment, people often hang their clothes and bags on the chair back to avoid getting it dirty. The observations allowed be to think of chair designs that incorporates the functions of tables and hangers.

GVAL by Gustavo Reboredo, Louis Sicard & Nenad Katic

Multifunctional Furniture Loop by Boaz Mendel

I have specifically researched about chairs that are multifunctional and ergonomically suitable for users within certain contexts. For example, Droog is an art piece that functions as a product as well as a performance piece because the seating for the chair looks like crushed paper box. The Pratonzolo and Mag Table chair is also multifunctional as it can hang clothes and store books ; and the Convertible Lounge Chair is adjustable for the comfort of the person. I noticed how wood seems to be the most used material because is it easy to form and construct, which makes it a material to consider for my project. However, it might also be too expensive and heavy to carry around in my target environment of a classroom.

Final Prototype of Multifunctional Chair Design

Cloud City by Thomas Saraceno

I’m interested in how architectures uses form and material to create the illusion of a bigger space. An example of this would be Thomas Saraceno’s Cloud City, where he used pentagons to build an organic form. The fact that some walls are transparent while other are enclosed not only lets in light and reduces energy use, but also creates the feeling of a larger area. I like how each unit creates a pod as it eases comfort while creates personal space in a social area.

BUILD IT Project Outcom

From building platonic structures using bamboo rods, we were able to understand the feasibility of different shapes and whether they stand or not as an architecture. I found out that triangular platforms are the easiest to manipulate as it can not only build forms in various angles, but also has a strong core structure. By combining shapes with different groups, we accumulated a pentatonic structure that balances very well as an architecture.

Observational Sketches in the Area of Kings Cross

Shaping Fashion by Balenciaga

The project brief immediately reminded me on Balenciaga's Shaping Fashion Exhibition at the V&A. Similarly inspired by 'shapes', Spanish couturier Cristóbal Balenciaga crafted over 100 pieces of innovative fashion pieces that are driven by the words: sculptural, bold and architectural. I am inspired by Balenciaga's way of draping huge sheets of fabric and how he uses layers to create exaggerated silhouettes. Therefore, the techniques of building constructive layers and working in large scale would be experimented for this project.

Lamp for Artemide by Issey Miyake, 2012

I noticed how Issey Miyaki, Yuki Hagino and Jaimee Mckenna both uses stiff materials and continuous folding techniques within their designs. I like the ascending layers of circular forms throughout Miyaki's STRUCTURED STACK collection as it creates a bold statement by using layers to build contrast while retains simplicity from its use of subtle colours. From Mckenna's A/W 2013 collection and Hagino's Sculpting Mind, I'm interested in the neatly folded triangular patterns that creates 3 dimensional fluidity to the garment. This repetitive folding technique will be explored in my design.

STRUCTURED STACK by Issey Miyaki, 1995

From on the architectural shapes we identified, I constructed a fashion model by manipulating paper and card using the folding techniques I researched about. With the short timespan we were given, I think the paper model was successful as it creates an strong, sturdy structure and a powerful silhouette for us to base our drawings on.

Folding 2D Shapes to 3D Shapes

Collection of Objects that forms our Identities

Tanabata Lace by Reiko Sudo, 2011

I began connecting the objects in a more literal sense. I looked at the varying levels of importance of the that object in my life in terms of weight, and started tying, braiding and bounding the objects on the window. The varying levels of the objects creates a juxtaposition between weight, which connotes the ideas of burden or challenges in life. We also tried tying the objects under the chair. I specifically liked how the lines twist and intervene with each other, because it not only creates a unique, non-standards pattern, but provides a 3D visualisation of space within the small area.

YOUR DATA Outcome Pattern Projection

Stormtrooper Chic by Gareth Pugh

'YOUR INTERPRETATION' Project Outcome

An immaterial retrospective of the Venice Biennale by Alexandra Pirici and Manuel Pelmus, 2013

Barcodes Drawn on Skin - Performance of it being Scanned

Good Muse by Sarah Lucas

Still Image of Final Piece

My final outcome is a wearable art that mimics layers of skin filled with barcodes. It is made out of cotton and barcode stuffed stockings hand sewn together and performed at different locations to show the suffocation of consumerism in society.

Woolf Works Costumes

I enjoy the irony and sense of humour within a communication piece as it evokes emotion. For instance, the Fooled You series in the Bauhaus collection inspired me to create dramatic ballet costumes to show a juxtaposition between the softness of ballet dance moves and the hardness of the cardboard costume.

POETIC CARBOARD Project Outcome

MOVEMENT Project : Secondary Research

I wanted to focus on the JFFA pathway for this project and I'm interested in how wearable objects move around the body. It allows open interetations for movement, encourages movement, restricts movement or change shape through movement, which I'm really interested by. I started the basis of my research with words including repetition, twist and fold.

SS14 Collection by Thom Browne

3D Paper Sculpture by Rachel McKnight

Veasyble by GAIA

I was also interested in the word collapse and making something that is movable around the body. For instance, the shell bag is a great example of utilising movement to create space. I really like the simplicity of the piece and hope to pursue that in my jewellery piece to achieve a sophisticated yet detailed look.

Body Adornment by Elina R. Aremas

Folding Techniques for Designers by Paul Jackson (Book)

From my research about various folding techniques, I decided to make 3D models based on them by altering it in different scales and angles. I began twisting and turning the shapes to create a whole unique form and tried placing it on the body.

Development Sketches

MOVEMENT Project Outcome

'COLLAGE'

According to the 'Collage: The Un-Monumental Picture', the concept of a collage has became more abstract and figurative throughout the years. Cubism, surrealism and Dada have also became some of the main practices of a collage. 

Collage by Danielle Krysa - Untitled, 1974 - 2006 (Book)

Collage: The Un-Monumental Picture, 2002 (Book)

Spinal Corset by Shaun Leane for Alexander McQueen

I began looking at designers, such as Shaun Leane and Nika Danielska, who work structurally on the body. I'm particularly inspired by the skeletal constructs of their designs as the movement and repetitive form of the garments connotes the idea of the cycle of life in Hinduism.

Haute Couture by Jean Paul Gaultier, 2013 (Designer)

Haute Macabre by Nika Danielska No.1.2

Skeleton Dress, Capriole collection by Iris Van Herpen, 2011

The Skeleton Dress, Capriole collection by Iris Van Herpen is made from printed polyamide in collaboration with Isaie Bloch and Materialise. According to the designer, the dress is 3D printed and the unintentional intense heating of the material "makes the bones irregular and it makes it look even more real". This inspired me to hyper realism through recreating rusty and grotesque textures of bone through 3D printing. The garment is also a 'collage' from various skeletons of different animals that create a non-existing bone structure. This led me to think about combining different bone structures to make a single piece, such as combining the spine and ribcage together as an accessory.

Haute Macabre by Nika Danielska No.1.3

Benefits Supervisor Sleeping by Lucian Freud, 1995 (Painting)

Saatchi Art: Fat Women Drawing by Linda Vallone

The Nylon Sculptures by Rosa Verloop, 2012 No.1.2 (Artist)

"-these are shapes with so much power, vulnerability and silence together." -Rosa Verloop

Dutch artist Rosa Verloop creates fascinatingly deformed soft sculptures of the human form. The sculptures are made out of a stretchy nylon fabric that gives them their distinctive bulbous appearance. I am inspired by her use of material as has a high similarity with the human skin. I also like that fact that it is uneven, which creates a sense of deformity to the human body.

PATTERN COLLAGE : Fat DNA ; Muscle ; Flesh

I experimented with sponge and bubble wrap to recreate the uneven textures of cellulite.

#DRAWFASHION LCF Fashion Illustration Exhibition

Inspired by the #DRAWFASHION exhibition, I decided to present my ideas in a fashion illustration. Using the fleshy colour palette, skin imitated textile and patterns inspired by fat DNA, I visualised my ideas in a collage format for a fashion illustration.

Helix Structure by Rowan Mersh (Designer)

Rowan Mersh's Genetic series was derived from the notion of examining aspects within the environment that shaped him. He utilised shapes of CDs and the continuity of people passing by to construct literal interpretations of DNA sculptural forms. I am interested in the organic geometric landscapes of the 3D installation, and how it is obsolete, the fact that the objects subsides to their affiliation with the fabric. This inspired me to explore with continuous forms that wraps around the body.

Japanese Baskets Inspiration by Stephanie Bila, 2011

I also looked at jewellery in an architectural sense. I explored on ways it can form on the body to support posture or enhance figure. From my research, I realised that I was particularly interested in repetitive geometric shapes around the shoulder and neck.

Xavier Perrenoud by Atelier XJC, 2012 (Designer)

This series of Swiss luxury jewellery references feathers, scales and large delicate ruffs in their design. I like their conceptual and structural approach, as well as the detailed repetition of their designs, which creates the illusion of infinity. This inspired my to explore on continuous patterns and shapes around the shoulder and neck.

Spiral Sculpture by Daniel Widrig

I started folding triangular shapes that interlock with each other to mimic the continuous symmetry of bone structures. From the words ‘surround’ and ‘support’, I immediately thought about creating a wearable for posture correction and protection.

'WEAR IT' Project Outcome

At first I wanted to do something that is spinal shaped and worn on the neck to support posture, however after various experimentation on different parts of the body, I decided that it would be more successful as a eye or face mask piece. This is because the contrast of skin and the sharp, angular accessory creates a greater visual impact, while becomes a stronger interactive piece on the face.

Pratonzolo by Max Battaglia & Matteo Mochi, 2011

Multifunctional Convertible Lounge Chair Stylish Design, C2C by Miso Soup Design

Cobogo Table by Fernando & Humberto Campana, 2009

The Cobogo is a common ceramic perforated tile used in many Brazilian buildings in the 20th century with the Modernist Movement in architecture. It plays the role of a brick wall will allows air circulation and sunlight inside homes. I am inspired by the shadows and negative spaces created when the table interacts with light and how the horizontal top creates a delicate floating dining table. I would like to explore with light and how it creates shapes through hollow repetitive patterns. The feasibility and comfort of the material (terracotta, resin, varnished steel) is also considered in order to achieve thermal comfort.

Sketches of Multifunctional Chair Design in Use

I sketched out chairs designs that focuses on improvising seating arrangements in classrooms as well as the public environment. I thought about storage and stacking ideas and thought about how the chair can encourage social activity or improve quiet study time.

Basque Head Quarters by Coll-Barreu Architecture

Coll-Barreau’s Basque Head Quarter uses mirror as the exterior of the architecture. This builds an element of futurism to the design while widens the environment around it due to its reflective surface.

Sketches of Architectural Form

Ivan Juarez, Tropic of Cancer, Mexico

Ivan Juazer uses a soft tissue textile as the walls of a hideout shelter in the dessert. While letting air and light in, the walls also separates and blocks sand and bugs from going inside. I am interested in the fact that the architecture is adapted within the environment and addresses climate issues by lowering energy use. I also like how the material creates shadows as it creates the illusion of a larger space. Therefore, I started experimenting with light under different surfaces of the architecture we built (below). We found out that light works effectively under the shear material of masking tape as it creates a bright yet gentle light source.

Experimenting with Light Under Translucent Cover

Spiral silk hat by Balenciaga for Eisa, 1962

'Envelope' dress by Cristóbal Balenciaga, 1967

Folding Shapes to Create a Garment

Juxtaposition (detail) by Suzumi Noda, 2011

One Hundred and Eight by Nils Völker, 2010

Paper necklace by Verena Sieber Fuchs

I was interested in the interpretation of materials and what it connotes, therefore I specifically researched on designers that used materials in an interesting and clever way to create texture. I looked at Verena Sieber Fuch's paper necklace, where she utilities the detail and chromo colours of photographs to create a shell-like textiles for her jewellery piece. Although it is made of paper which is usually interpreted as fragile and gentle, she decorated it in playful and fun way by using circular shapes and colour variety. I also like how is provides the subtle meaning of identity through the photographs, and how the photographs can also be seen as a pattern. Since it's a one day project, there wasn't enough time to experiment with different materials, however I would definitely investigate on how to manipulate materials to connote texture and meaning.

Connecting Memorable Objects with Thread - Window

Based on the detailed mark-making sketches, I decided to research on work that creates a lace-like texture. I researched on ways of manipulating materials to create textures from designer. For example, NUNO textile Tanabata Lace is pleated like origami, then finished by hand using a heat cutter to create a repeating pattern of slits and a fun feeling of motion. Moreover, the gaps between the fabrics create space, which connotes meanings of physical emptiness, time and attitude. Nick Volker illustrates lace so that it interacts with wind to express the flexibility of ones thinking and feeling. Lastly, Suzumi Noda uses large amounts of thread to mimic the technical nature of electric wiring, which is "both of practical use but also has a very aesthetic appearance”. From this research, I decided to experiment with different ways of creating texture other than drawing. For instance, I tried poking holes through acetate and sewing with thread to achieve precision.

Experimenting with Light and Projection

I also experimented with light and projecting pattern from acetate, however I thought it wasn't very successful because the contrast of the patterns are not significant. On the other hand, I really like how bubble wrap projects as a texture because of its intricate repetitive pattern and its unrefined, ripped plastic edges. I believe this would work very well as a bold, lace-like textile pattern.

Styled Models in Different Poses for us to Sketch

I was inspired by the angular, repetitive architectural shapes from the 'Your Surroundings' project. With the influence of observational exercises on bold silhouettes, I decided to create a 3D structure layered jacket that exaggerates and emphasis the shoulders. I turned hexagonal cutouts into 3D shapes using paper folding techniques and layered them chronologically in terms of scale. Paper fasteners were used as a securing method, in order to allow movement within the garment. I also used it as button at the front so that people can functionally wear it by tying it with string. The cross lacing of strings is inspired by 'Your Data's' object connecting exercise on the chair.

Barcodes Collection

I Can't Help the Way I Feel by John Issacs, 2003

I began thinking of methodologies to help connote the idea of self-labelling, over-consumption and materialism to a personal level. I decided that it would be more impactful if it is printed on the human body, therefore I started experimenting with putting barcode on different parts of the body while doing the performance of scanning it.

Sketching Ideas of Incorporating Barcodes On the Body

Woolf Works Ballet Movements

Fooled You by Oskar Schlemmer's Bauhaus costume

The final piece is a stop motion that communicates the contrast of the poetic nature of ballet with the roughness of cardboard through motion.