Collection: Part 1

Research

The Buddah Garden, 2017 (Website)

'Hinduism'

Cycle of Rebirth

Fascinated by the idea of resurrection and death, I have narrowed down my research on Shiva, the Hindu God of Destruction. From my second-hand research, I found out that Shiva is associated with "reincarnation, since in Hinduism death is believed to be a necessary step for rebirth". The God of destruction is also symbolised by necklaces of skulls, which draw various links to the material of bone.

Samsara in Hinduism

Moreover, according to wikipedia, one of the prominent themes in Hindu beliefs includes Samsara, which means the cycle of rebirth. This idea of resurrecting from the dead can be expanded to ideas including the karmic cycle as well as the skeletal reincarnation of life. To further develop this idea, I decided to focus on the concept of reviving the dead, possibly using bones and skeleton as its symbolism.

Hindu Language : Sanskirt

In terms of form, I found out that the systematic pattern of bones relate closely to the cyclic concept of samsara (rebirth) in Hinduism. Moreover, as I began researching about the Hindu language, Sanskrit, I am fascinated by how similar the words are to separate sections of the bone structure. To map down my connections, I drew fonts of Sanskirt in 3D to see if a 3 dimensional skeletal structure can be constructed by it.

Primary Research: Ox Bone Structure

'Collage'

According to the 'Collage: The Un-Monumental Picture', the concept of a collage has became more abstract and figurative throughout the years. Cubism, surrealism and Dada have also became some of the main practices of a collage. 

Collage: The Un-Monumental Picture, 2002 (Book)

Haute Couture by Jean Paul Gaultier, 2013 (Designer)

'Bone'

According to the x-ray illustrations of various skeletons, I find that the organic yet systematic construction of the bones and how they connect extremely fascinating. I am extremely inspired by the structure of the skeletal spine as it shows dynamic movement. This can be used as a metaphor for resurrection

Moreover, I feel like the juxtaposition of the soft bone marrow and its strong exterior wall would be a great source of inspiration for a textiles design. I also really like the colour combination of white and different shades of red.

Skeleton written by Steve Parker, 2002 (Book)

Skeleton Dress, Capriole collection by Iris Van Herpen, 2011

Science Fictional Spine by Beatrice Weiland and Meredith Lyon, 2010 (Designer)

Bone Marrow + DNA Pattern Collage

Wei Ting Liang: Reveal- The Inner Self Collection, 2011 (Designer)